Little Ethiopia Food Tour
The Little Ethiopia Food Tour is the first of our Ethnic Food Tours; these events will focus on the rich and varied ethnic communities and cultures throughout the Washinton DC metro area
Our Ethnic Food Tours focus less on the history of a particular neighborhood. If you want a more traditional historic Food Tour, we recommend you take the Old Town Alexandria Food Tour, the Capitol Hill Food Tour, the Gastronomic Georgetown Food Tour, or the Dupont Circle Food Tour.
The Little Ethiopia Food Tour will take you through historic U Street to 9th street as we visit the heart of the world’s largest Ethiopian community outside of Ethiopia. Your gastronomic experience will chronicle the intricate flavors, textures, and colors in Ethiopian cuisine, while recounting the history of the Ethiopian people.
The Little Ethiopia Food Tour was specially designed for the adventurous eater. Some of the restaurants we visit are ‘hole in the wall’ spots, that focus on the quality and authenticity of the food, rather than the particular ambience of the restaurant. All of the restaurants were built and maintained through hard work and perseverance that resonates the pride of a people that have faced adversity yet managed to succeed.
We will traverse through the center of Ethiopian life in Washington DC, located in the heart of the historic U Street and Shaw Neighborhoods. The 19th century neighborhood houses some of the area's very best and most authentic Ethiopian restaurants.
Your Food Tour may include the following specialties:
- Traditional breakfast
- The Ethiopian National dish
- Deep fried lentil appetizers
- Fresh cottage cheese
- Homeade breads
- Coffee ceremony
- Traditional meat and vegetable dishes
- Hand Made hot sauces and spice blends
- Italian influenced Desserts
- Ethiopian Honey Wine
Enough food is served that most participants will not need dinner after the tour. All dishes are served sitting down, so you can enjoy the ambiance of each restaurant while trying their specialties, and hearing their stories.
After the Food Tour, you will have a greater understanding of the friendly and hardworking people, their food, and their cultural hub. You will have the confidence to navigate the streets like a local.
- When:Saturdays between 10:30am and 1:30 pm (please see the event calendar for current availability)
- Where Meets near the U Street Metro Station (The exact meeting location will be provided upon ticket purchase)
- How long :The food tour will last approximately 3-3.5 hours
- Who:All age groups and fitness levels are encouraged to take the tour
- How much:$56 per adult ticket (plus a ticketing fee). We will be sitting for all dishes.
- What to wear:Comfortable clothing and shoes
- What is included: All food and drinks are included in the tour.
- Weather conditions:Food tours will take place rain or shine- tours may be rescheduled based on severe conditions
purchase food tour tickets here
Private, Group, Corporate Events and Tours
"In the end, the tour is as much about Ethiopian culture in general as it is about its cuisine in particular."
- Gabriella Boston, Washington Times
"Without the tour I would never have walked into these places. But now I'll feel comfortable bringing friends here. And I'll know what to order."
- Michelle E.
"I am not into typical tours, but heard about Little Ethiopia and decided it was time to give it a try. It was well worth it. The food was fantastic- so many flavors I had never tried. Better yet we went to Ethiopian restaurants I had not heard of before, but will now not ever forget. Can't wait to try another DC Metro Food Tour"
- Sam J.